Free Case Evaluation

800 Turnpike Street
North Andover , MA 01845

Can I just stop paying support to my ex-spouse?

Can I just stop paying support to my ex-spouse?

Additional Info: I recently lost my job and can no longer pay my weekly child support obligation. Can I just stop paying support to my ex-spouse?

Attorney Answer:

NO! You are obligated to follow the exact terms of all Court Orders. If there has been a material change in circumstances and you are no longer able to comply with any term of a Court Order you cannot simply just stop abiding by said term. You must file a modification action with the appropriate Court seeking a modification of the order based on a change in circumstances. In doing so you must be able to show that there has been a material change in circumstances since the order went into effect.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pocket
Share on email

Top rated family law and divorce lawyer serving Essex County and Middlesex County, Massachusetts including Andover, Boxford, Georgetown, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell, North Reading, Tewksbury, and more.

Related Posts

Do I have custody rights as a non-biological parent?

A non-biological, non-adoptive parent who has acted in a parental role may be considered a de facto parent. As defined by the Massachusetts courts, a de facto parent is “one who has no biological relation to the child but has participated in the child’s life as a member of the child’s family. The de facto

Read This

Dividing Qualified Retirement Plans in the Aftermath of Divorce

Splitting assets during a divorce can be an arduous task. To complicate things, the division of certain retirement savings accounts requires an extra step. DRO vs. QDRO Divorce proceedings often conclude with a domestic relations order (DRO) to lay out the division of retirement assets. However, assets from a qualified retirement plan, such as a

Read This

We help families move forward in their lives with less stress, less expense, and more control.

Call us to schedule a Free Case Evaluation.