Free Case Evaluation

800 Turnpike Street
North Andover , MA 01845

Visitation schedule for teen age daughter

Visitation schedule for teen age daughter

Additional info: I have been divorced for 10 years and live with my 16 year-old daughter in Andover, MA. She doesn’t want to visit her dad 1 1/2 hrs away every other weekend. She’s a teenager and has a busy sports schedule and social life. What rights does my daughter have and what legal responsibilities do I have regarding the matter?

Attorney Answer:

This is a common issue that often arises as a child grows older. It is vital to remember that the child is still a child, and does not have the authority to make the decisions regarding parenting time or otherwise. As equally important to remember, when there is a Court order in effect, a party could be subject to the possibility of Contempt proceedings if they are not in compliance with said Court Order. In this case, if the child ceases visiting with her Father, he could seek intervention from the Court and Mother would be faced with impending litigation.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pocket
Share on email

Top rated family law and divorce lawyer serving Essex County and Middlesex County, Massachusetts including Andover, Boxford, Georgetown, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell, North Reading, Tewksbury, and more.

Related Posts

Do I have custody rights as a non-biological parent?

A non-biological, non-adoptive parent who has acted in a parental role may be considered a de facto parent. As defined by the Massachusetts courts, a de facto parent is “one who has no biological relation to the child but has participated in the child’s life as a member of the child’s family. The de facto

Read This

Dividing Qualified Retirement Plans in the Aftermath of Divorce

Splitting assets during a divorce can be an arduous task. To complicate things, the division of certain retirement savings accounts requires an extra step. DRO vs. QDRO Divorce proceedings often conclude with a domestic relations order (DRO) to lay out the division of retirement assets. However, assets from a qualified retirement plan, such as a

Read This

We help families move forward in their lives with less stress, less expense, and more control.

Call us to schedule a Free Case Evaluation.